SEMCO Website Login
Superior Certified Performance Allows Compact Design
- The performance data published for the EXCLU-SIEVE® Energy Wheel is independently certified in accordance with ASHRAE 84-78P and is far superior to all other air-to-air energy recovery systems. A unique flute design, coupled with numerous other design innovations, provides for the highest possible heat transfer characteristics while simultaneously reducing pressure loss parameters. These combined features optimize the "sensible" (temperature) recovery portion of the performance.
- Providing "latent" (moisture) recovery efficiencies that match the improved sensible values is made possible by EXCLU-SIEVE's 3Å molecular sieve desiccant coating. The "rate of adsorption" by this transfer surface is more than twice that of other desiccants. This allows for effective moisture transfer from the high velocity air streams inherent in energy recovery applications.
3Å Molecular Sieve Desiccant Coating
- The EXCLU-SIEVE wheel utilizes a 3Å molecular sieve desiccant coating to limit the risk of desiccant cross-contamination which would otherwise cause a portion of the exhaust air pollutants to be transferred, along with the water vapor, to the fresh air stream. The 3Å molecular sieve material utilized by SEMCO was developed specifically for “selective adsorption” and has been successfully used for decades by the petrochemical industry. Other desiccants like silica gel and oxidized aluminum cannot provide selective adsorption. Molecular sieves are structurally stable, chemically inert and have a strong affinity for water vapor. This strong affinity for water vapor produces the high rate of adsorption which provides superior latent transfer performance.
Non-oxidized Coated Media Construction
- The EXCLU-SIEVE media is made from aluminum which is evenly coated, prior to being formed into its honeycomb configuration, with a dense layer of corrosion resistant desiccant. This extends the life of the aluminum media substrate and enhances its structural integrity. This is in sharp contrast to most other total energy wheels which are produced by oxidizing the surface of the aluminum substrate to form a crude desiccant which leaves the product susceptible to further oxidation and diminishes its structural integrity.
Modular Media Sections with Aluminum Spoke Support System
- The media support system is made from aluminum extrusions. This provides the substantial structural backbone required to withstand the forces encountered during a wheel's 10,000,000 annual revolutions (assuming continuous operation).
- The use of aluminum drastically reduces the weight of the rotor when compared to a steel support system. The result is a more evenly balanced rotor which reduces wear and tear on the drive system and bearings.
- The tolerances obtainable from an extruded media support structure allow for the flattest possible sealing surface. This adds significantly to the integrity of the total sealing system.
Service Free Drive and Control System
- A responsive and maintenance-free drive system is an integral part of any rotary heat exchanger. The drive system standard with any EXCLU-SIEVE unit is an AC constant or variable speed system with drive belts.
Non-wearing Extruded Labyrinth Seals
- EXCLU-SIEVE utilizes a four pass labyrinth seal which has been designed to give optimum performance under the pressure conditions encountered in this application. Since the seals never actually touch the rotating surface, their life is indefinite. All seals are easily field adjustable. This efficient sealing system increases performance and virtually eliminates carryover of contaminants from the return air stream to the supply air stream.
Tubular Steel Casing Construction
- To avoid deflection of the energy wheel casing due to the significant torque imposed by the air pressure on the energy wheel surface, a tubular steel framework is used. Casing deflection is undesired since it increases the gap between the seals and the wheel surface causing excessive air leakage.
Built-in Bearing Replacement System
- The bearings used in the EXCLU-SIEVE units provide a long life with minimal maintenance. The external pillow block bearings simplify any replacements should this ever become necessary. The rotor remains in the casing and none of the rotor or media has to be removed.
Optional Extended Service Contract
- The EXCLU-SIEVE units are designed to provide long and reliable operation. As a statement of our commitment to quality, the EXCLU-SIEVE wheels are available with an optional extended service contract to cover any unforeseen mechanical deficiencies or performance degradations. The coverage period can be as long as five years.