The Continuous Improvement Technician role is responsible for championing, developing and sustaining a culture of continuous improvement and knowledge about related methodologies/ activities (Lean, Six Sigma, RCPS, Line Balancing, Performance Management, etc.) across all areas of the manufacturing site. The end-purpose is to improve through real results and key performance indicators (Safety, Quality, Cost, and inventories) of the site. The CI specialist is actively involved in setting up and establishing a support structure to develop CI capabilities and culture with guidance from Operations Excellence - thus acting as an agent for culture change. This role personifies Quality, Lean, and industry standard way of solving problems, making decisions and setting new higher standards.
Major Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Develop and expand local capabilities in applying continuous improvement tools and methods (Lean, Six Sigma, RCPS) with a structured problem-solving approach. Inject passion for this activity by providing a vision and direction for the future development and performance of the site and its highly skilled craftsman.
- Help develop, deploy and sustain the Semco Operations Excellence manufacturing program including a coaching support structure to drive CI initiatives and ensure sustainability of improvements.
- Coach Advanced and Lead site and local team and give reinforcement training on selected topics.
- Support and challenge the workforce and local team in direction setting, prioritization (timing, resources, and sequence of actions) and implementation of improvement activities to best achieve targets for key performance indicators of the annual site improvement plan.
- Identify, validate, initiate and drive new improvement opportunities and promote the passion for excellence and delivering on commitments through creating value and eliminating waste.
- Run own improvement projects delivering value to the organization of minimum 1 activity per quarter.
- Actively participant in safety improvement with local management and engineering. Adhere to the Golden Principle which is Simply to intervene to stop work if conditions or behavior is unsafe.
- Develop, conduct, and document process and system audits using visual procedures as audit
standards. Internal Quality and Operations Excellence Auditor.
- Perform inspections, sampling procedures of incoming materials from suppliers, purchased parts and components used in manufacturing.
- Accurately document the results of various operation quality inspections, kaizens, activities, etc.
- Participate in the creation and/or revision of all Operations procedures.
- Assist in writing and updating inspection procedures, protocol and checklists.
- Evaluate problems and make initial recommendations for possible corrective action.
- Work with production and quality management to provide feedback to assemblers regarding accuracy of assembly procedures.
- Coordinate or participate in Root Cause Analysis and Corrective Actions for production, customer complaint, or warranty claim issue. Determine and establish “Effectiveness of Actions Taken” mechanism and report.
Description of Authority:
Support and lead local manufacturing site in fact-based decision making on all topics and overall owner of effective communication, enforcement, and drive of all Operational Excellence activities.
Major Organization Interfaces/Interactions:
- Manufacturing Operations
- Strong technical skills and the ability to assist in the development and operation of
quality control system.
- Effective utilization of oral and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of specs and standards used in industry.
- Practice effective project management skills.
- Coordinate and facilitate group meetings, effectively working with internal customers and suppliers.
- Successfully perform assignments, often with minimal supervision.
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- 3-5 years of relevant work experience (operations, production, maintenance, logistics, (process) engineering, continuous improvement, etc.).
- Previous experience with ISO 9001, preferred.
- Proven experience in continuous improvement methodologies such as Lean, Six Sigma, RCPS, Quality tools, Kanban, etc.
- Confident and experienced in coaching others.
- Excellent communication, presentation and conflict resolution skills on all organizational levels; ability to gain respect and trust through situational leadership and integrity and inspire others to follow and participate in the change process.
- Prior manufacturing supervision or team leader experience; knows how to use the skills and knowledge of the team to design and implement solutions.
- Must have good English, written and verbal, and communication skills.
- Working knowledge of measurement instruments.
- Able to multi-task in high-pressure environments.
- Experience in coaching and engaging others; able to impart knowledge to others.
- Proficiency of Microsoft Excel, and PowerPoint.